Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In the Potter's hand

Jeremiah 18:1-6
1 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD : 2 "Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message." 3 So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. 5 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.



poster photo by Bethany R. Freed.

I am taking it one day at a time. If you know anything about me, you know that I am some what a perfectionist. I want to do everything right. I want to know how to do things the right way, so I don't mess up. I don't want to make the slightest mistake. Guess what? The more I try to do everything exactly right, the more I find myself stressed out, tired and upset. I say this because I know we are all looking for the perfect way to praise God, minister and serve him. The truth is this there isn't a perfect way! Wait a minute.... what if we make a mistake? What then?


Webster dictionary defines perfect as: being entirely without fault or defect: Flawless. God knows that we are not perfect in and of ourselves. I just didn't get the memo yet! Hebrews 10:14 says:... "by one sacrifice He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."  The one sacrifice is referring to what Jesus has done for us on the cross. In a nut shell, Because Jesus died on the cross, those who accept him is being made perfect.... "being made" Wait... that sounds like a PROCESS to me. Each day God is making us perfect... not by our own strength.

The Potter that is in Jeremiah 18:1-6 formed the clay in the way in which He wanted the clay to be. Let's be putty in Gods hands and let Him shape us in the way in which we should be. This is definitely easier said then done. especially when we may feel like we need to be in control and relinquishing control may make us feel weak. Guess what? Being weak may not be so bad.  


The beauty of this is in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 we become perfect in weakness!

(9) "My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness."
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become. (Message)


(10) So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak [[d]in human strength], then am I [truly] strong (able, powerful [e]in divine strength). (Amplified)


I realized that I must give myself room to make mistakes. Though I want to be perfect, I am perfected through Christ! With God's help we WILL be who He has created us to be! God cares about us so much and wants us to the best representatives for Him. Our flaws make us interesting. embrace our mistakes and turn the into lessons to teach others. Remember the only thing that is flawless is the word of God. (Psalm 12:6).

By Vicky S. Joseph

3 comments:

  1. To God be the Glory Bob! Welcome to the Blog! I will check out your Blog aswell! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky, Your blog is such a blessing to find. Love everything I have read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Carrie! To God be the Glory :-) stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin